Monday, 10 June 2013

A TRIP WHERE YOU DISCOVERED SOMETHING ABOUT YOURSELF OR A PLACE YOU VISITED THAT YOU WEREN’T AWARE OF



CONTINUTATION.....

The next day I was greeted with the sound of the crowing cock which isn’t something you hear in the city very often. The atmosphere smelled pure and refreshing. My cousins immediately walked up to me and asked if I needed anything; they were practically at my beck and call. It felt so comforting with a piece of stick in my mouth that we broken from the branch of a tree in my uncles compound, I decided to join my cousins to go and fetch water from the stream nearby. 

The paths that lead to the stream was green and lush with trees and plants and the aroma of the bush filled my nostril. Once in a while I would see strange looking insects and animals. When we got back, I agreed to accompany my uncle, my dad and some of my older cousins to the farm while my mum, aunty and little cousins and brothers stayed behind prepare breakfast. After walking for over a mile or so through, bushes and forests, we reached the farm. It was my first of being to a farm. 

It was incredible how such a small family such as my uncles, was able to cultivate such a large piece of land. The farm stretched as far as the eye could see. They had all kinds of crops and vegetables. On one side were palm trees and mango trees, on the side were cocoyam, cassava, yam, maize and beans. They also had a snail farm. I wasn’t accustomed to farm work, but I tried to do the best I could, after trying to week and harvest some yams, it was obvious I wasn’t good at it. They worked really thoroughly on the farm and seemed to take it very seriously. 

It reminded me of how many times I had complained when I had been asked my parents to do something and I would grumble and complain even though what I was normally asked to do didn’t even come close to this one. I realized how hard they worked, yet how happy they were about it and still they managed to go school and study. Back in Accra most kids couldn’t even hold a cutlass, yet they would rather spend time watching TV than read their book. I realized how disadvantaged we really were even though we seemed to be enjoying.

TO BE CONTINUED....

No comments:

Post a Comment