CONTINUATION....
After the 3hour drive we got off the bus
after my dad yelled to the driver to stop at Ve-Deme. It was late afternoon by
the time we got there and even though it seemed like a pretty remote village,
there was some commercial activity going on. The folks seemed really friendly
and welcoming. A few kids wanted to help us with our luggage which I held on to
very tightly, even though it was heavy. Seconds later, an old gray haired man
approached and shook my dad, they seemed quite pleased to see each other and
after exchanging greetings.
The rest of the day was spent, greeting
family members I didn’t even know existed, and hanging out with my new found
cousins. They seemed pretty interesting; even though they weren’t too educated
they seemed to have a lot of common sense, something we city boys seemed to
lack. They knew so much about the town and the names of everyone in every house,
like the whole village was one family. It reminded me of how everybody minded
their own business in the city. Even though we spoke the same language, theirs
seemed much stronger and seasoned; I felt really ignorant speaking with them
and was amazed at how much they knew about our culture and people.
I had spent
all my life learning about someone else’s culture and neglecting my very own.
Suddenly, I began to feel at home. The void I felt before didn’t feel so empty
anymore. As the night wore on, we exchanged stories about our worlds and the
more I listened the more I amazed I was. They were also very fascinated about my
world too. I tried to describe the city to them, how busy it was and how there
were tall building everywhere with people dressed in suits and ties and how
every seemed so serious going about their. On the contrary, this place was
peaceful, everybody waved and smile and greeted each other. They would spend
time asking about the family and among other things.
TO BE CONTINUED.....
No comments:
Post a Comment